April 17, 2014

Bursting-With-Berries Lemon Curd Bundt Cake ~ #BundtBakers



I still haven't found a way to make this year slow down, so if you have any tricks please let me know. Here we are in the middle of April and Easter is almost here, so it is very fitting that our theme for #BundtBakers this month is Easter!

Around this time of the year I am always looking for lemon recipes, and I found this beautiful bundt cake recipe in a magazine I was paging through.  Filled with berries and lemon curd it seemed like the perfect cake to make for an Easter celebration. I had also been gifted this beautiful Nordic Ware Chiffon Bundt Cake Pan by two wonderful friends, and I could not wait to try it out - aren't the swirls it creates just beautiful? The original recipe called for the lemon cream to be spooned over the top of the cake, but I decided I wanted to show of the intricate design in all its glory - I even refused to sprinkle some powdered sugar over the top.  Instead I served a little cream on the side, and found that mixing the lemon curd with the cream gave it a lovely tanginess.





One thing I did find was that this cake took way longer than recommended baking time of around one hour.  I ended up covering the pan with foil and left it baking for around 1 hour 25 minutes.  I checked my oven thermometer and it was reading the right temperature, so all I can recommend is that you check it at one hour and see how your cake looks, and if it is not cooked keep checking every five or so minutes after that. This recipe does produce a beautifully moist cake, just bursting with lemon and berry flavor that is the perfect after dinner treat with a cup of tea or coffee.





For more information on the #BundtBakers and how you can join in the Bundt Baking fun please scroll down below the recipe.



Bursting-With-Berries Lemon Curd Bundt Cake
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
Cake ~
  • 2½ cups all-purpose flour
  • ⅓ cup finely ground toasted slivered almonds
  • 1½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
  • 1½ cup granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
  • 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
  • ½ cup prepared lemon curd (I used my favorite lemon curd recipe here)
  • 2 cups mixed fresh berries, such as blackberries, blueberries, and/or raspberries (fresh or frozen)
Lemon Cream ~
  • ½ cup heavy cream
  • ¼ cup prepared lemon curd
  • 1 tablespoon sifted confectioners' sugar
  • Mixed berries, for garnish
Preparation
Cake ~
  1. Preheat oven to 350℉. 
  2. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan (I sprayed with Baker's Joy).
  3. In medium bowl, whisk flour, almonds, baking powder, and salt. 
  4. In large bowl, with mixer on high speed, beat butter and sugar 4 minutes or until light and fluffy. 
  5. Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, scraping bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low and beat in vanilla and lemon peel. 
  6. Add the flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, until combined. 
  7. Mix in lemon curd until just combined, and then fold in berries.
  8. Spoon batter into prepared pan; lightly tap pan on counter to remove any air pockets. 
  9. Bake, in center of oven, 1 hour to 1 hour 5 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. 
  10. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. 
  11. Can be stored at room temperature, well-wrapped, up to 3 days.
Lemon Cream ~
  1. In medium bowl, beat cream on high speed until soft peaks form. 
  2. Reduce speed to low and beat in lemon curd and confectioners' sugar until combined.
  3. Serve cake with Lemon Cream and berries.
Recipe from Good Housekeeping






BundtBakers



So who are the #BundtBakers?

#BundtBakers is a group of Bundt loving bakers who get together once a month to bake Bundts with a common ingredient or theme.  You can see all our of lovely Bundts by following our Pinterest board right here

We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. Many thanks to Tara from Noshing with the Nolands who is hosting this month; she has chosen Easter as the theme. Last month we baked with spice and after thoroughly enjoying each other's cakes, it was time to celebrate with all things Easter.

 If you are a food blogger and would like to join us baking Bundts each month, please send an email with your blog URL to foodlustpeoplelove@gmail.com. If you are just a lover of Bundt baking, you can find all of our recipe links by clicking our badge above or on our group Pinterest board.

And don't forget to take a peek at what the other talented bakers have baked this month.  Here are the links ~

15 comments:

  1. I hear you, this year is just crazy busy. You cake is just beyond beautiful, it would have lasted 30 seconds in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now those are some good friends, Felice! I love anyone who feeds the Bundt cake pan addiction, although, if they are also recipients of said Bundts, perhaps they have ulterior motives. :) What a gorgeous Bundt, though, and they'd deserve every bite. I love the combination of flavors and salute your reluctance to cover those curves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that you added in the lemon curd, what a gorgeous bundt!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks yummy! All lovely spring flavors, I love lemon+blueberries plus u managed to get some lemon curd in there too what more could u want. Yeah this year is going SOOOO fast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is indeed a gorgeous bundt pan (and cake!). I definitely need to expand my bundt collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my this bundt pan is great! You are right it gives the cake such beautiful swirls! Good call on leaving it "in the nude" The swirls look fantastic as well as the berries! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bundt pan. The first cake looks gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those berries are making my mouth water! Beautiful bundt this month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a pretty bundt! Always love a blueberry and lemon flavor combination!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a gorgeous bundt cake! Lemon and berries go sooooo well together and bundt cakes are so classic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds lovely, I have booked marked this as I just love lemon curd.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at berries What a gorgeous and delicious Bundt!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just joined the group, can't wait for next month's bundt. This sounds yummy I love berries with lemon. Love the bundt shape.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful bundt pan indeed and a perfect cake for it. I think I would have held off on the sprinkling of powdered sugar too. The pan gives such fabulous design.

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOVE how this came out and lovelovelove the flavors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.