January 01, 2011

Monkey-ish Bread



I had a visit from the New Years' Resolution Fairy last night.  I usually don't make a list of resolutions for the New Year, at least not out loud or written down.  I have a few ideas in my head that I think would be nice to achieve, but I am not going to beat myself up if I don't manage to accomplish them.  Life is too short for that.  However, one resolution came true on the first day of the New Year  1-1-11.  I made the Top 9 on Foodbuzz.  I know that it may not be earth-shattering, it will not change the world, or bring world peace but it meant a lot to me.  I wouldn't exactly call myself the most creative person, and I am not a very experienced photographer, but I am learning with the help of some wonderful new friends.





In celebration of the New Year I thought I would make my version of Monkey Bread.  There are a lot of different options out there for making this recipe, but I love to make it a little different by using cinnamon rolls.  I call it Monkey-ish Bread and it is always a big hit with my family.  It is so simple to prepare and is melt-in-your-mouth good.  It is a challenge to get everyone to let them cool a little before we put a dollop of icing on top.  To tell you the truth part of the fun is doing this whilst they are hot, because then it becomes a drizzled pool of sweet goodness, and you can keep dipping into it so none of your pieces miss out.




To all my friends, new and old, I wish everyone a very Happy New Year. I look forward to a fun and exciting new year of blogging. 


"May the New Year bring you all
Troubles that last only seconds
Giggles that last minutes
Chuckles that last hours
Laughs that last days
Smiles that last weeks
Happiness that last months
Friendships that last years
But most of all
Love that lasts a lifetime!"

-- unknown




Monkey-ish Bread
(Printer Friendly Recipe)

Ingredients
  • 3 cans cinnamon rolls (I used Pillsbury Grands! Cinnamon Rolls with icing)
  • 1 cup white sugar
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon Penzeys Baking Spice, optional
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup chopped nuts, optional (I omitted these)

Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F
  2. Grease a 10-inch tube pan
  3. Mix white sugar, cinnamon, and Baking Spice in a plastic Ziploc bag.
  4. Cut each of the cinnamon rolls into 4 equal pieces.
  5. Put about 8 pieces at a time into the plastic bag and shake to coat.
  6. Arrange pieces in an even layer around the base of the tube pan.  Continue layering pieces on top of each other.
  7. Melt butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and let boil for one minute.  Spoon evenly over rolls.
  8. Bake for approximately 35 minutes.  Let cool for 10 minutes and then turn onto a plate.  Do not cut - the bread will just pull apart.
  9. Use the icing from the cinnamon rolls as a topping.
Recipe adapted from a thread on Cooking Light.



The remains

32 comments:

  1. Your bread sounds delicious! I love monkey bread, what a great idea using cinnamon rolls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the top 9 and on this wonderful monkey-ish bread (hehe I like the -ish). You know, it might not be a big deal to some people but I still dance my little private dances when I hit the top 9. I think it's very cool that people still can be made happy by those things. They are our small big victories. happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto what Sara said!! I think many of us do the little Top 9 happy dance, but maybe we don't all admit it so readily.
    I'm loving this photo too! The bread looks like something my family would love. Liv would want extra glaze though!
    Happy New Year to you too Felice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I have still not even tried regular monkey bread...
    Hopefully I can find someone to share this with me when I make it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see why your family can't resist letting them finish cooling first! And that you don't make the dough from scratch cuts down on LOTS of time, which always a happy face makes :-) I'm currently jonesing for some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Making the foodbuzz top 9 is a wonderful accomplishment...it means a lot of people are reading and liking what you put out there! I love this version of monkey bread, you can't go wrong making little cinnamon rolls all squished together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Felice,
    I have never tried Monkey bread but your post aroused my curiosity and I have find out what it is nowLD Your photos is extremely inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have eaten Monkey bread made with regulars Grands biscuits, but using the Grands cinnamon rolls, would step the bread up a notch, especially with the glaze.

    Happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm looks soooo good.

    congrats on being in the top 9 :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Felice,
    I have never tried Monkey bread but your post aroused my curiosity and I have find out what it is nowLD Your photos is extremely inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First, congratulations for making the Top 9. You have a fantastic blog! Second, this recipe sounds great - am looking forward to providing it to my family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I will save this recipe for a Saturday morning when the snow is high and the house needs to smell of cinnamon and butter! Total yumminess!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That bread sounds so good! And I love that you used cinnamon rolls - mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never tried Monkey Bread, after seeing your pics I am definitely missing out!!! Love all the melted icing goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks perfect! There's nothing better than hot bread with a sweet glaze and cinnamon in the morning. It's such great comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fun take on monkey bread! It would be "gone in 60 seconds" in my house for sure! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks delicious! Congrats on making it to top 9!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats on being in the Top 9! That is a great start for 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this bread! Congrats on making the top 9 :) I love when resolutions are achieved the first day of the year! Hope 2011 continues to bring you fantastic things :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. damn those resolution fairies!

    And you're entitled to your little dance. I do it too, or whenever someone I admire RT's my post, etc. We all need a little reassurance in this blogging game.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Monkey Bread, but have never even considered making it with cinnamon rolls. What a fabulous idea!

    And congrats on the Top 9! I don't think it ever gets old! Hopefully there will be many more to come!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this idea! So much easier and still looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on Top 9 for sure! I love monkey bread, and really really love the idea of making it with cinnamon rolls...great job!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Being a part of the Top 9 may not be earth shattering but its pretty darn awesome every time it happens! Congrats :) This monkey bread look awesome.. I love all that ooey gooey cinnamon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Congrats! Lovely monkey bread....always a fun dish to eat. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. The next Pillsbury Bake Off will be accepting recipe applications sometime in January. The winner gets 1 million dollars! Love a new Monkey Bread, you should enter.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've NEVER made monkey bread but I really want to. I always buy it at Costco and eat the whole thing by the time I get home!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yum. Looks like some real good monkey bread. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks great. I love love monkey bread.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.