October 17, 2010

Rice Custard

Are you like me and always seem to make a little too much rice?  I hate to throw food away so I usually transfer it to a bowl and put it in the fridge for later use.  I hate to admit that I am not always successful in using it up before it has to go in the trash, but I do try.  One of my favorite ways of using it up is to make a Rice Custard.

Growing up I remember my grandmother making this quite often.  I suspect that she may have had trouble judging the amount of rice to make too.  It didn't matter how often she made it because it was always a favorite with me.  There is something comforting about a creamy custard that has rice and raisins in it, with a touch of nutmeg and cinnamon.



This custard can be put together and ready to go in the oven in less than 10 minutes. The original recipe only added 1/2 a cup of rice but I tend to add about a cup of rice and also add some nutmeg and cinnamon to the custard, as well as on top.  The recipe calls for making it in individual dishes and a water bath, but to make it easy I just pour the mixture into a 4-cup capacity ovenproof dish, and I don't worry about a water bath.  This method has always worked for me.



Rice Custard

Ingredients
  • 1 cup cooked rice
  • 3 eggs
  • 75g (1/3 cup) sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 625ml ( cups) milk
  • ¼ cup raisins
  • ground cinnamon and nutmeg
Preparation
  1. Preheat oven to 350F.
  2. Whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla, and milk together in a medium bowl.
  3. Sir in rice and raisins.
  4. Pour into a 4-cup capacity ovenproof dish.
  5. Bake for 35 minutes. 
  6. Sprinkle custard lightly with nutmeg or cinnamon, bake a further 15 minutes or until set.
  7. Serve warm or cold.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.