August 31, 2009

Mmmmm.....something smells good

This was the comment I kept getting this afternoon as I was preparing a fruit crumble.  I have to say that even in hot weather there is nothing quite like the smell of something baking in the oven.  I had half a Costco-size box of nectarines and some raspberries that were getting to their use-by-date. I decided to head to the computer rather than my cookbooks to look for a recipe because of time constraints.  Wow, there are a lot of recipes out there for nectarine crumble on the internet.  I kept thinking that may have been quicker had I hit the books.  I looked through quite a few before I settled on one from Food Blogga that looked too good not to try.  I did make a few adjustments because I was out of a few ingredients and I decided to substitute some other ingredients so I am going to post my amended version of this recipe, but full credit goes to Food Blogga for developing this recipe.   I served this with some Edy's (Dryer's) Slow-Churned Frozen Tart Honey Yogurt - boy that was a mouthful - but it was the perfect foil for the sweet dessert.






Nectarine and Raspberry Crumble
Crumble:
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
1/4 cup light brown sugar 
1/4 cup Maui raw sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
pinch of salt

Filling:
6 nectarines, sliced 
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup Maui raw sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 cups fresh (or unthawed frozen) raspberries
2 tablespoons cornstarch dissolved in 3 tablespoons water
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract

Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9x13 dish with cooking spray.

To make the crumble - place the sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and coconut in a bowl. Add the butter and use your hands to rub it into the flour mixture.

To make the fruit filling - in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the nectarines and sugars. Cook until slightly tender, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the raspberries and dissolved cornstarch. Stir until the mixture begins to thicken and bubble up, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat, and stir in the vanilla extract.

Pour the fruit filling into the prepared pie dish, and sprinkle the streusel evenly over the top. Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the topping is golden and fruit filling is bubbling up around the edges. Allow to cool before serving. It's best served at room temperature or just slightly warm.
(Recipe created by Susan Russo of Food Blogga. http://foodblogga.blogspot.com)





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I'd love to hear from you, so please leave a comment.